Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Crossing Bridges - Thorp to Moscow

I have had an overwhelming response to the last blog post about my trip to Russia.  Many have asked how to partner with me.

The greatest need is prayer.  Honestly.  I am going to have a middle school classroom of 16 students from 9 different countries.  Which means 9 different cultures, 9 different languages, 9 different views of religious tradition.  Gives a whole new meaning to melting pot!

Being a teacher first requires me to assist their basic academic education.  Readin', Writin' and 'Rithmatic are important.  But my past students seem to remember more of the character things we learned together - random acts of kindness, volunteering at a shelter, expanding creative writing, believing in themselves when no one else did, learning to face challenges.

I want those kinds of things to be the benchmark of learning for my new students, too.

Under it all, I want to share Jesus with them in a new dimension, a greater way, to encourage a personal relationship with Him that will last through their lifetimes wherever they go.  I really do.

And to do that with that depth of cultural background - I am going to need a lot of prayer!   If you would like to be a prayer partner and receive updates of the trip, please e-mail me at newkris@yahoo.com and I will add you to the mailing list. 

The second thing I will need is finances.  I will get a stipend from the school for which I am very grateful.  But the costs associated with dropping where I am to go where I am going are greater than the stipend will allow.  I will have church support and so I'm not fretting over how it can happen.

At the same time I have long been on the other side of watching my friends go hither and yon to share the Gospel in many different countries and I jumped at the chance to be a small part of their work.  It's funny how tight the bonds and connections are when you invest some of yourself into someone else.

At the prodding of my youngest, I have set up a Go Fund Me page in the event you would like to partner with me financially.  Here is the link for that page:  GoFundMe

I still am jumping through hoops to get all the paperwork in order.  But as long as the door keep opening, I will keep walking through them.  I feel like Alice in Wonderland moving through an unreal place where the unexpected is to be expected.

God is good.  I am honored to be offered this opportunity.  I hope you'll come with me.  Oh!  The stories we will tell!

==========================
To order a copy of A Book of Pages About Crossing Bridges or a Friend Named Jesus,
 please visit my website:  Writer's Pages
Facebook:  Author Kris A. Newman


No comments:

Post a Comment